Thursday, July 10, 2008

3 Days until Shawnee Mission Triathlon


07/10/2008


The Shawnee Mission Triathlon is this Sunday. I thought my swimming was coming along nicely, but went to the park and swam in the lake last Tuesday and struggled again. So strange...I feel like I can swim for an hour in the pool, but put me in that lake and I freak. I'm sure it's 95% mental, so hopefully I can overcome it one day. Something with knowing I can always swim to the side in the pool if I should ever need to. In a lake, not so much. Also, it's very intimidating the way they start you in the lake with 30 other people. Lots of hands and legs to deal with when you're trying to swim!! Oh, and the line at the bottom of the pool is SO helpful, but the lake isn't equipped with one of those AND there are tiny waves to contend with in the lake. Oh well...I'll make that lake my b!tch one of these days.

I'm just doing the short course Sunday...swim 500 meters, bike 9 miles and run 2.4 miles. It's so strange to me that not all short course/long courses are the same. For example, whenever people ask me how many miles this marathon was compared to another marathon...well, they're all 26.2 miles, silly! Not ture with triathlons - the Jackson County short course triathlon is a 600 meter swim, 12 mile bike and 5k (3.1 miles). Seems like every triathlon has varying distances...strange. I was contemplating attempting the long course trithlon this August at Longview, but not sure that's a good idea unless I grow fins.

Ray is in Jamaica-mon on a Mission trip for a week, so my momma is coming into town today to keep me company. I know the real reason is to have some quality one-on-one time with her grand-doggy, Copper, but hey - I'll take it. I'm going to pick her and Copper after work and we're going to head to Shawnee Mission Park for one more practice round with the dreaded lake. There's a dog park at Shawnee Mission, as well, so my mom and Copper can frolic there while I try not to drown.

My dad's taking the Amtrak in on Saturday so he can watch the race on Sunday too! I ran/biked the course 2 days ago and it's a bit hillier than what I'm used to. It should be a blast, though!


No comments: