Friday, June 20, 2008

Intro...


HELLLLLOOOOOO!

Well, my name is Becky (if you couldn't figure out from my screen-name), I'm from Kansas City, MO and this is my first real blog....how exciting!!
Now let's see..what to type - I guess I could start by saying I caught the running bug about 8 years ago and this will be my feeble attempt at documenting some of my races, training, etc. Of course I'm too lazy to purchase a Running Log and write/update that, but I sure can log onto a computer (especially when I'm bored at work, but don't tell!!).
Back in the younger days, my dad was huge into running and I'd go to all of his races and cheer him on. When I was old enough, I started racing myself...2 miles and such and I loved it. I ran 2 years of cross country in high school - I wasn't the best, but it was fun! Then college came along and put the kabash on the whole running game for me. I decided to take up professional drinking instead. Let me tell you - that profession is none too great for the running, nor the weight! Finally graduated from being a drunk and a couple years into the real world, I decided I needed to do something to help get rid of the 30 pounds college (Freshman 15, my arse!!) had so kindly given me. That's when the running started up again. I'd run in some 5ks and 10ks and then one day I got a crazy hair and decided to sign up for the KC half marathon. Game over...I was HOOKED! The thrill and accomplishment I felt from completing those 13.1 miles was amazing! I think I ran that one in 1:58 and have run about 14 since then with my PR at 1:41 and some change.
Well, if you run a half marathon, you run the full deal...right?! Of course you can, but it feels oh so much better when you actually train! I completed first marathon in Chicago in 2000, I believe. Boy, was I cussing myself about mile 19!! Why in the world would anyone put themselves through this torture?! I was almost in tears when I got to mile 26 and realized I still had .2 to go!! I finally made it to the finish line and barely made it back to the room where it was coming out both ends (sorry for the graphic nature of this sentence). An hour later, I felt great and was planning the next marathon. I shouldn't say great - the next morning I woke up thinking I felt fabulous until I put a foot down off of my bed and put pressure on it. One of my loudest screams ever. Finally learned the trick to walk down the stairs backwards, too...helps greatly! I think it took a good 3 weeks before I could run again, but like I mentioned above - I didn't quite train the way I should have.
To date I have completed 8 marathons: Chicago 2x, Grandmas 2x (Duluth, MN), NYC, Boston (amazing...quailified in Chicago), KC and Arizona Rock 'n Roll
Let me put a plug in for Chicago here - I love the Chicago marathon and I even put up my first DNF (did not finish) there last year in October 2007. That was the year it was uber hot and people were passing out everywhere...still wish I would have finished. I think they're getting a little too crowded, but the crowd is absolutely AMAZING! During my first one, I was going up a hill (speedbump, actually...Chicago is flat as a pancake) on mile 20 and started walking. An older gentleman that I had never met was spectating and told me I couldn't stop and he ran up the hill with me - I'll never forget it. The city literally shuts down for the marathon and they make you feel like super star!
I'm so glad I got into running, too, because it caused my mom to catch the bug as well. My parents are wonderful and always support me. I'm sure my dad would be running along with me, but unfortunately he has experienced some knee and back issues and can't run anymore. After watching a marathon, my mom would always say that she was going to start running. It typically led to her going to the track, running once around and never going back. Finally 2 years ago after Grandmas marathon, it stuck and she's now completed 4 half marathons: Big Sur (gorgeous), St. Louis 2x and Arizona Rock 'n Roll. She's awesome! We're going to DisneyWorld in January and she's running the half marathon and I'm doing the Goofy Challenge - half on Saturday and full on Sunday. I've heard some good/bad things about the Disney Marathon, but I LOVE the happiest place on earth, so I'm sure it will be a blast!

I've not been keeping up with my running too well the past several months, since I've been so busy! I'm getting married in Hawaii in October to a wonderful man by the name of Ray, we're building a house that should be done in August, I've rented out my house and he's trying to sell his house....lots going on! It's no excuse, though and I think I've turned it around again.
I ran Hospital Hill half marathon in Kansas City 2 weeks ago and ran it in one of my worst times, so I think it opened my eyes that I need to get my rear in gear again! I also completed my 3rd Short Distance Triathlon last weekend 06/14/08 - Topeka Tinman Triathlon (swim 300m/bike 8miles/run 5k)- in 1:04 and I really enjoyed it. I'm usually scared poopless of the swim, but I actually practiced this time. However, they had WAY too many swimmers in the lake at the same time and I didn't actually get to swim until the last 150m and by then I was exhausted from trying not to drown in the huge packle of swimmers! I'm getting better at the biking and of course I love when I get to put the running shoes on! I think I'm going to aim to complete a Long Course Triathlon. We'll see how that goes...if well, then someday maybe a half Ironman. Those Ironman Triathletes are AMAZING!!

Headed to St. Louis this evening to visit my parents. I found on-line that there is a St. Louis triathlon club and they're meeting tomorrow morning for a group 40 mile bike ride. 40 miles...are you kidding me...do you know how sore my butt is going to be?! Of course the fiance wants to do it, so I'll have some interesting stories, I'm sure.
*picture above is of my cousins friend, my cousin Heidi, myself and my mom after the 2008 St. Louis half marathon

Wow...that was a lot of writing for the first blog. I'll probably be the only one reading it, but if not, hope I didn't bore anyone to death!!

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Hi Becky. You're not the only one reading your posts.

Your running story is great--halfs, full marathons, and tri's. Also so cool that you come from a running family.

I'm a HUUUUGE Chicago Marathon fan. Have run it for the past 11 years, and I remember 2000 pretty well. You're so right about the amazing crowd.

Good luck with wedding planning. We'll look for you at the start in Grant Park in 2009!

Have fun with your blog. I have a feeling it's going to be great!